Wednesday, October 31, 2007

Who's the Parent?

Last week I personally experienced something that I had only heard about. It's starting to happen already...

For years I have made sure my kids had everything they needed. While at daycare I made sure there were enough diapers and spare clothes in case of accidents. In winter I doled out boots and mittens quickly before they ran out the door. My goal in the morning was to ensure that they had their backpacks and lunches and homework etc.

The weather started getting colder here in the last month. One morning I was in a hurry to get the kids across the street so they could catch the bus with my neighbor's kids. My car was in the garage and I ran in and out of the house with the things I would need for the day; purse, lunch, keys blah blah blah. My son was putting on his shoes in the entryway while I climbed into my car. I don't leave until I know they are safely across the street.

Soon my son emerged from the house. He was holding something in his hand. I had heard people say that as we get older we experience role reversal with our children. I was just surprised it was starting so early.

"Mom", he said, coming towards the car, "you forgot your coat".

2 comments:

jo(e) said...

Oh, that's funny.

Just wait until they are teenagers and have think they are way smarter than you about EVERYTHING.

Yankee T said...

oooh, yeah. What jo(e) said.