Friday, November 23, 2007

Say What???

I was recently reminiscing about the time when my son was small. Of course as I say time and time again, I can't believe how time flies. Anyway, I was remembering a time when he was around two years old. At that time he was in day care. The place was wonderful and his caregivers all loved him.

One day when I picked him up, there was a note on his daily activity record. The caregiver had written 'Danny has been saying B**** quite a bit today'. I was horrified but also quite puzzled. That was not like him at all. The next morning I dropped him off and talked to her.

"What happened exactly?", I asked. She replied, "yesterday we were all playing on the floor and the kids were crawling around. He kept saying 'b****, b*****'".

"I just don't understand!", I said, totally confused, "We don't say that at home. We don't swear at all at home. What was he doing when he said it?"

"Well, the kids were crawling around. I was sitting on the floor and he was crawling under my knees. He kept saying 'b****, b**** and we were all shocked".

I thought for a moment. Then it hit me.

"He wasn't saying b****; he was saying 'bridge'. His pronunciation isn't very good yet", I said, feeling a great sense of relief.

I left the daycare center feeling better, knowing that he wasn't picking up bad language.

The next evening my husband picked up our son. He too talked to the caregiver and they had a good laugh about the whole thing.

Before he left, my husband told her, "If you think that's bad, you should hear him say 'fork'".

No comments: