Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Mine, Mine, MINE!!

Through the years I have observed how animals mark their territory in different ways. My dog(s) have always shown their superiority by marking every tree in sight even though they are 'fixed'. It's fascinating to me because I have to get a life. Actually I have always thought it a strange way to declare their turf.

I experienced this yesterday but not with my dogs.

It's routine in our house that my husband gets home from work and gets the kids off of the bus. They are trained to know that the first order of work, after snacks, is to do their homework. By the time I get home the homework is done. It's a great system since they don't have a chance to procrastinate.

Yesterday, after a dental procedure, I went home for the day and was able to get the kids. My husband stayed late at work since I would be there. The kids walked in and got their snacks. Soon after, with a bit of prodding, they started their homework. I went upstairs to pick up.

"Mom!," my son yelled, "I need you!"

I went downstairs to see him working on his math homework. I like to pride myself on the fact that I aced calculus in college. I explained how to solve the problem, carefully watching him to make sure he understood me. He seemed confident and the next answers were correct.

Not long after I heard, "Mom, I need you!"

He was on another section on his math homework that was puzzling him. I went downstairs again to teach him how to simplify and solve the problem. As I was doing so my husband got home from work.

"How's it going?" he asked as he walked in.

"It's good", we replied and went back to math problems. My husband sauntered over and looked at the work we were doing.

"Are you showing him how to do it", he asked,looking intently at me, "or are you doing it for him?"

I peered up at him from over my glasses and said, "I'm showing him, duh. I'm not a moron."

He quickly shot back, "Well I don't want HIM to be a moron."

What had gotten into my husband that he would think so ill of me? That wasn't like him at all! All of a sudden it occurred to me:

I had peed on his tree!

I had invaded his territory by helping my son with his homework, a task he usually undertakes. Maybe it's an instinctive behavior for all males to be territorial, but I hadn't realized I had tread into such forbidden territory. I guess even the gentlest of giants can still have these instincts.

After realizing this was a result of such primitive behaviors, I didn't take it personally. The pack leader in my house is still the most wonderful man I know.

...But he'd better not talk to me like that again!

No comments: