Wednesday, August 22, 2007

Clean babies

I remember when our son was born ten years ago. My husband and I had been married when we were 30. We had a great time over the next few years. As I was approaching my 35th birthday, we decided that we were ready for a new addition to the family.



Our son was born the next year. Everyone said that we would know what to do by instinct. That's a bunch of crap. There we were staring at our newborn, not knowing what to do next. We got pretty good at feeding and changing him. However, bathing him was another story.



It's true when people say that a wet baby is slippery. Both of us gave him his first bath. I don't know if there's an easier way to do it, but one of us held him while the other bathed him. At the time we were both terrified that he would slip out of our hands and fall into the 1 inch of water in his bathtub.



It honestly didn't get any easier. He would wiggle out of our hands, but as time went on we realized that it wasn't the end of the world. In fact, he would love it and wiggle even more.

But time flies by...

Last night, before my son went to bed, he asked me to wake him up early so he could take a shower. I did wake him up early, but I fought the urge to get his clothes and towel ready. Instead, I went downstairs to get ready for the day.

As I was working, I heard the water go on. Soon after, he came down the stairs all dressed and clean. "How do I smell?", he asked, lifting his arms.

"You smell nice, just like Dad".

He gave me a grin, very proud of the fact that he used Dad's body wash, and his own deoderant.

I was so proud. But at the same time, I couldn't help but remember the slippery little baby that we washed so many years ago.

It seems just like yesterday....

1 comment:

jo(e) said...

Naked babies certainly are slippery. I remember the time my mother was bathing my little sister off the dock and she fell into the water. My mother tried to grab her, but she was so slippery that eventually she just yanked her out by her hair.