Sunday, January 18, 2009

Silence is Golden?

I think all the technology in the world has gotten out of hand.

The most affected by all of this, however, are the children. Never have I seen so few children playing outside or reading books. When we were young we were always outside on even the coldest winter days. Being in the house was not very fun especially when mom handed us a dustcloth or a load of laundry to separate. After our chores were done we'd head outside.

In our neighborhood there is a park right down the street. Only on the warm and sunny days will it brim with children and their parents. The only action I see from my house usually is adults with their ipods jogging down the streets.

It used to be that going to school on the bus was a great chance to chat with friends and even create a little mischief. The noise was way too loud and quite often the bus driver would have to stop the bus to yell at the crazy kids. This was a part of Americana that was so common for all of us.

Things have changed.

This Christmas, almost everyone in my son's 6th grade class got cell phones. I will never understand this. What could a 6th grader possibly need a cell phone for? I've always said that if I don't know where my kids are at all times, I have a problem. If they're at school I could call the main office in an emergency. If they're at sports, we have the coach's number if we need it. If they absolutely need to contact us while away, we let them borrow ours.

When I talk to my son's friends, they'll say 'If my mom needs to get in touch with me during school, she can text me'. Or 'If I'm at my friend's house, I can call my parents to pick me up'.

There are REAL phones at school and at people's houses for this purpose.

My son is constantly asked why HE doesn't have a cell phone. I just tell him to respond that he doesn't need one. Once recently, I was talking to my 14 year old niece about the subject. Now, this is a brilliant girl who is a typical teenager. I can't even argue too much about a 9th grader having a cell phone since she is at practices and school events quite often, but the logic is far from clear.

Me: Why do you need a cell phone?
Her: Well, I need to text my friends.
Me: Don't you see them at school?
Her: Yeah, but it's easier just to text them.
Me: What do you text about?
Her: Well, I'll say 'What's going on?' and they'll say 'not much; how about you?' and I'll tell them 'not much''.
Me: That sounds fascinating, but why don't you just talk to them?
Her: I don't know.
Me: You know, someday they might invent a cellular phone that you could actually TALK into. Wouldn't that be cool?
Her: (Dead silence, along with the 'very funny, Auntie' look)

Anyway back to the bus.

One day I asked my son who he talks to on the bus.

"Well, everyone is so busy texting that it's very quiet. No one talks anymore"

How sad.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

中国公文网 中国皮肤网 中国呼吸网 肿瘤网 癌症康复网 工作总结 个人工作总结 年终工作总结 半年工作总结 单位工作总结 教师工作总结 教学工作总结 学校工作总结 德育工作总结 财务工作总结 医务工作总结 安全工作总结 乡镇工作总结 党员工作总结 团委工作总结 公司工作总结 实习工作总结 班主任工作总结 党支部工作总结 办公室工作总结 学生会工作总结 工作报告 政府报告 述职报告 述职述廉 考察报告 自查报告 情况报告 调研报告 调查报告 申请报告 辞职报告 实习报告 验收报告 评估报告 工作汇报 思想汇报 汇报材料 情况通报 情况汇报 心得体会 学习体会 工作体会 培训体会 读后感 领导讲话 庆典致辞 节日致辞 开业开幕 演讲稿 竞聘演讲 就职演讲 比赛演讲 征文演讲 节日演讲 演讲技巧 工作意见 活动策划 工作方案 整改方案 实施方案 企划文案 营销方案 培训方案 应急预案 规章制度 法律法规 事迹材料 先进事迹 个人事迹 申报材料 学习材料 考察材料 经验材料 交流材料 自我鉴定 工作计划 工作规划 年度工作计划 学校工作计划 个人工作计划 团委工作计划 工会工作计划 单位工作计划 党支部工作计划 民主生活会 入党志愿书 入党申请书 入团申请书 转正申请书 党性分析材料 先教活动 整改措施 剖析材料 公告通知 模板范例 贺电贺词 常用书信 合同范本 社交礼仪 法律文书 论文

Baby Lisa said...

I know everyone has cellphones these days.