Friday, October 5, 2007

I Do

Sixteen years ago today we stood in our church and got married. It seems like yesterday, but when I look at the pictures I can tell that we were much younger. Our nieces and nephews were children and toddlers. Today they are all grown. Our friends and families were smiling and laughing. Many of the people that were at our reception are gone now. I remember not being nervous at all. There was no doubt in either of our minds that we were meant to be together. The day went by without a glitch, but even if the sky fell down I didn't care. We were celebrating a committment we made with everyone around us that we loved.

My husband is not one to go to great lengths to be romantic. I'm glad! I never got into the fancy schmancy romantic dates and sappy words. It made me comfortable to be with him because he was my best friend for so long.

His proposal the year before was so typically 'him'. Hubby has had a love of cars forever. Our house is filled with car magazines and there's a good chance that every day he will tell me about a new car model he's seen or heard about.

One sunny Saturday in 1990 I got out of work and went over to his house. As usual he was in his driveway washing his car. We chatted about the day as I watched him concentrate on every square inch of the second love of his life.

"Do you want your birthday present now?" he asked. He's like a little kid with presents. He can't wait to give and open presents. I agreed even though my birthday was more than a week away. A few months before I had bought his car from him since he was planning on getting a new one. The only thing missing from it was a CD player. I was hoping it was waiting for me.

"Go in the kitchen. It's on the table".

I walked into the house and there on the table was a wrapped present. I started getting so excited because it was shaped like a CD player box and was quite heavy.
I took it outside to open it. He watched me out of the corner of his eye as I unwrapped the package. Sure enough it was a CD player box. I was so thrilled since it was what I really wanted.

"Thanks so much! I'm so excited!" I exclaimed.

"Open the box", he insisted. I didn't know why I had to since I knew what it was, but I did anyway. Inside the box lay a pair of plyers. I looked up at him wondering what he was up to.

"Oh. Thank you", I said not quite knowing what to say. "They're lovely".

He came over and took the box from me. In the corner was a small cardboard box which had supposedly held part of the CD player that did not exist. He opened that box to reveal a little black velvet box.

I began to shake. I took the small box from him and opened it. Inside was a beautiful sparkling diamond ring He took it out of the box and asked me to marry him. Of course I said yes quite enthusiastically. He then put the ring on my finger and went back to washing his car.

I can't imagine him proposing any other way. A romantic dinner at a restaurant would have been nice, but it wasn't us. His driveway was perfect. It symbolized the life we loved; house, cars, each other.

Sixteen years ago we made the committment permanent. Although we have weathered some difficult times, like everyone, there was never any doubt that having each other to lean on was a precious gift that we will have 'until death do us part'.

2 comments:

jo(e) said...

Sixteen years ago? It can't possibly be that long ago.

Yankee T said...

Aww, sniff. Belated congrats.